Holiday Fresh Cut Evergreens Care Tips
Fresh greenery will last indoors for about two weeks; outdoors it will last considerably longer, sometimes even months. To keep your cut greens fresh, try these care tips:
- Before making your arrangements condition them to absorb as much water as possible. Snip off the bottom of the stems, then crush the cut ends with a small hammer. Crushing the stems helps them absorb more water. Set conditioned stems in a bucket or the sink full of room temperature water for a few hours.
- Place them out of direct sunlight and away from direct heat sources like vents and fireplaces.
- Keep them hydrated. Just like Christmas trees cut greens need water to stay fresh. Mist your evergreen decorations with water every couple of days, and if possible even every day.
- If arrangements were made with potting soil as the base, keep the potting soil moist.
- Spray foliage with an anti-desiccant. These easy to use products seal the pores on the leaves and bark and helps the foliage retain moisture.